Executive Secretary, Sahara and Sahel Observatory (OSS)
• Executive Secretary, Sahara and Sahel Observatory (OSS). The Sahara and Sahel Observatory is an independent international organization based in Tunisia and is comprised of African and European countries, regional and international organizations, and representatives of civil society;
• Chair, Speaker, and Participant, “Integrated Development and Climate policies: how to realize benefits at national and international levels”, Development and Climate Project Workshop, Paris (September 20-22, 2006);
• Dr. Sokona has participated in many international events regarding the subjects of climate change, desertification, and biodiversity. He speaks regularly to international organizations such as UNFCCC, UNESCO, and UNDP, particularly on the effects of climate change on Africa and he participated in follow-ups to the Rio process;
• Coordinator, Energy Programme and Executive Secretary for International Relations, Environement and Développement du Tiers Monde (ENDA-TM), based in Dakar, Senegal (1982 – 2003); and
• Professor, “Ecole Nationale d’Ingénieurs de Bamako” (National Engineering School, Bamako, Mali).
AWARDS, BOARD MEMBERSHIPS AND AFFILIATIONS:
• Member, Technical Advisory Group of the joint UNDP/World Bank Energy Sector Management Assistant Programme (present);
• Board Member, International Institute for Environment and Development (present); and
• Board Member, Foundation for International Environmental Law and Development (present).
• “Econole Nationale Supérieure des Mines” (Paris); and
• University of Pierre et Marie Curie (PhD, Engineering and Sciences of the Earth).